Talk about great timing.
Buffalo State College hosts the national teach-in on Global Warming Situations today - a day the local temperature bottomed out at minus 6 degrees.
No evidence of global warming here, at least not this morning, when unofficial reports to the National Weather Service listed temperatures as low as 9 degrees below zero elsewhere in Erie County.
"We didn't have temperatures forecast to be quite that cold," weather service meteorologist David Zaff said this morning. "When you have snowpack on the ground and clear skies, temperatures can plummet. It's called radiational cooling."
That cooling phenomenon, under mockingly clear skies, posed a hardship for some morning commuters and some finger-numbing discomfort for others.
"Compared to a normal winter day, our call volume is up about 25 percent, and it's directly related to the cold," said Diana Dibble, public affairs manager for AAA of Western and Central New York.
The most common complaint, of course, was cars that wouldn't start, but the AAA also fielded calls from some early risers who locked their keys in their vehicles while trying to warm up their cars.
The cold, crisp conditions might be welcome news for one weekend event:
The Labatt Blue Pond Hockey Tournament being held Saturday at the Erie Basin Marina.
"It's perfect today," Erie County Parks Commissioner Jim Hornung said. "This is all about thin layers of ice. Our goal is to put two coats of thin water spray on the ice today."
Hornung was concerned, though, about the effect of this morning's frigid temperatures on staff members and about the possibility of frozen hoses and hydrants.
The National Weather Service reported that the low temperature of 6 degrees below zero was recorded at 6 a.m. today. The Feb. 5 record of 12 degrees below zero was not threatened.
The weather service issued a wind-chill advisory, but only until 9 a.m. and only in Erie County.
Temperatures are expected to moderate today and all the way into the weekend, with daytime highs expected to hit 5 to 15 degrees above zero today, the upper 20s Friday and the low to mid 40s on Saturday.
That could threaten the ice conditions for the Labatts tournament, at least on Saturday afternoon, but organizers and county officials are confident that the ice will survive.
"I'm OK with it," Hornung said. "I think we're still going to be pulling this off."
Good thing the tournament's not scheduled for Sunday.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Talk about great timing.
- Snowiest Winter Ever Recorded in North Dakota
- George Will’s battle with hotheaded ice alarmists
- ”Climate flicker” at the end of the last glacial p...
- Effect Global Warming in Montana
- Sea Ice Sensor Degradation Hits Cryosphere Today
- How not to measure temperature, part 83: No smokin...
- NSIDC: satellite sea ice sensor has “catastrophic ...
- Britain’s Lessons From The Winter of 2008-2009
- Using the Ocean to Sequester Crop Residue Carbon
- Hansen on “death trains” and coal and CO2
- Climate Change in California
- The BBC Attempts to Patch Up the Cracks - botches ...
- Collapse of Ice Sheet would Shift the Rotation Axi...
- Finally, a sunspot, but it is a Cycle 23 spot
- Global Warming Makes Allergies Worse
- Why Global Warming May Be Fueling Australia's Fire...
- Many North American Birds Moving Northward
- Latest Update on the Glaciers of the World
- High CO2 boosts plant respiration, potentially aff...
- Vacationing on Venus Basic Geology Series Part 1
- Greenhouse Gases Destroyed Venus
- Bangladesh Seeks Compensation???
- How not to measure temperature, part 81 - roofing ...
- Cut the meat to curb global warming
- Global Warming Impacting Ozone Recovery
- A storm of errors in Arkansas
- Going Cold on Antartic Warming
- Study Shows Stimulus Will Fight Global Warming
- NOAA Unveils New Alert System for La Niña and El N...
- More Global Warming Warning Signs From The Ends of...
- 6 Major Environmental Problems of Asia
- January was Actually Warmer than Normal
- Global warming conference at -6 degrees
- Current State of Climate Change Research
- The Daily Climate: Obama's Commerce Pick Has Low G...
- Global Warming Could Erase California's Farms
- Arctic Sea Ice Increases at Record Rate
- 200 New Species Found. Global Warming To Blame?
- Al gore, Global Warming, Frogs, and Dinosaurs
- Snow caused by Global Warming
- Global Warming Nonsense - The great lakes prove it...
- Global Warming - Global Climate Change
- Four Scary Surprises of Global Warming
- Is Methane The Cause Of Past Ice Age Global Warmin...
- Could Global Warming Cause A New Ice Age?
- Heaviest Snow in 18 Years Brings Much of Europe to...
- In Search of Missing Atmospheric CO2
- Met Office Report Card at the 2/3 Mark
- Why should we switch to renewable energy?
- Recycling – why we must not stop now
- The European Winter Areas Will Suffer because of t...
- Fast Forward: 2019: Scientists Now Say Global Warm...
- Art exhibit portrays urgency of global warming pro...
- My Stance on Global Warming
- Ocean Acidification and Corals
- ▼ February (55)